11 November 2005

veterinarians day

Whan I was a kid, I was very happy that there were peole who could fix my pets when they got sick, but I never understood why they got their own holiday.

Did you know that the WW II vets were older this year when the White Sox won the World Series than the Civil War vets were last time they won it?

Both my grandfathers were veterans; probably most people's grandfathers were veterans. I miss them. My mom's dad died in 2000, so he fortunately did not have to see all this crap we have gotten into. My dad's dad died a year and a half ago. When we were going through his things I found the begining of a hand written letter to the editor of VFW magazine expressing his outrage at the military action in Iraq. "This is not what I fought for" he said. It made me sad to know that when he died, he felt like one of his biggest sacrifices was being dishonored. It made me happy to know that the week before he died he was bragging to his neighbors that I was going to law school. He dropped out of school in the 5th grade to support 6 younger siblings when his father split and his moter got sick & died.


This is a picture of my grandfather living in Germany in the late 40s to help rebuild the country.

No comments: