14 November 2005

changed the world

The Chronic - brought hip-hop rap culture to every 13 year old white boy who never latched on to NWA because his mom wouldn't let him get records with bad words. It introduced Snoop & his izzle fuschnizzle. It popularized the rebirth of deez nutz. It invigorated interest in George Clinton with use of some of the best samples out there. And, not to make you feel old - but it was released almost fourteen years ago.

Equally as important, it contains one of my favorite "Dumb Lyrics that Rhyme":

"So would you just walk on by, cuz I'm too hard to lift, and no this ain't Aerosmith" -- Really? Are you sure? Because for a second there I thought it was Aerosmith.

I purchased what is actually the first copy I have ever owned late last week. I was amazed at how well I remembered the lyrics after not hearing some of the songs for 5 years or so. I was also amazed at how much it made me feel like "the man" (as in part of the system, not as in bad ass) to roll down the street with it cranked. I mean, here I am an almost 30 year white male old law student driving an 81 volvo with the windows rolled down and Dr. Dre thumpin on my 6x9s. What a joke.

Things felt different when I had long hair & a gotee that was so long it didn't fit in my drivers license picture. Things were different when I felt like part of the white counterculture, even if it was sometimes cheezy hippie love fest.

Now I'm left grasping at little ways to stick it to the man, which pretty much means I'm just stickin it to myself.

No comments: