27 October 2005

rearviewmirror

Rather than get straight to the point, or mention the one-hit-wonder pop tune I heard on the radio that inspired my earlier post that was taken over by Tom Cochrane, I will beat around the bush a little more.

I was crankin' Pearl Jam's sophmore release "Vs." on the way home last night and thought to myself "man, this is/was one of the most underrated albums of all time." Then it occured to me that I didn't finish the sentance. I should have said "this is album has for years been greatly underappreciated by ME." Tons of people love(d) the album, and it was all over the radio when it came out.

Why didn't I dig it then? Because 1)- I was too concerned with Pearl Jam changing their sound from Ten and "selling out" and 2)- I was too worried about all the 'posers' who were latching on to the radio friendly version when they didn't even know what the song Porch is about, that I didn't recognize that by rejecting something just because other people liked it, I was equally as guilty of being a poser.

I could go on about my preference for Pearl Jam over Nirvana, respect for teh artistic integrity Pearl Jam showed by makig music that almost no one liked (and not giving a shit), how their suit against Ticketmaster marked a jumping-off point for concert goers, and the politically active roll they have played in trying to make the world better; but I won't. I'll just say always play it loud, it is good:

i took a drive today
time to emancipate
i guess it was the beatings made me wise
but i'm not about to give thanks, or apologize
i couldn't breathe, holdin' me down
hand on my face, pushed to the ground
enmity gauged, united by fear
forced to endure what i could not forgive...
i seem to look away
wounds in the mirror waved
it wasn't my surface most defiled
head at your feet, fool to your crown
fist on my plate, swallowed it down
enmity gauged, united by fear
tried to endure what i could not forgive
saw things, saw things
clearer, clearer
once you, were in my...
rearview mirror...
i gather speed from you fucking with me
once and for all i'm far away
i hardly believe, finally the shades...are raised...
saw things so much clearer
once you, once you...
rearviewmirror...
saw things so much clearer
once you, once you...
rearviewmirror...

No comments: