10 September 2005

fake meat

I'm not a vegetarian (you should already know that), but I do enjoy an occasional veggie burger. I don't mean the all-soy fake meat patties that have the consistency of rubber and taste like a sponge soaked in teryaki sauce. I mean the grain or rice based patties that don't try to be something they're not.

For all you non-believers out there; try slapping one on a couple pieces of toast with some lettuce, cheddar, and a few slices of thick-cut bacon.

So, for lunch today I used the George Foreman to press a Morning Star Okra Patty into a grilled cheese with fresh home-grown tomato & sliced onion. I should have taken a picture, but I forgot. The thing that inspired this post wasn't how good it was (it was good) but what the package advertised: "65% less fat than regular ground beef"

(I planned to post a link to the item description on their website, but it is no longer listed as a product. That explains the freezer burn.)

Think about that - I don't know exactly what is in this patty thing, but whatever it is, it has 35% as much fat as beef - not the lean beef, or ground sirloin - the full "regular" ground beef, whatever that is. How can a vegetarian organic pseudo-healthy veggie burger have that much fat? After I slap on the cheese, bacon, and mayo, I might as well just jump in the car and head to McDonalds.

(Morningstar Farms happens to be owned by Kelloggs - so all you tree huggers are supporting the man.)

No comments: