30 June 2005

Follow Directions

I installed a new stereo in my girl's car this evening. It was my first Crutchfield experience, and they lived up to every expectation. The final fit was a little tough, but overall accecptable. If it was a newer car, I would probably not be happy with the fit - because it isn't perfect, but it is not a newer car.

The diagrams for the wiring harness were great, and I enjoyed soldering the wires and all that. Last summer I took apart the dash, so that part was also easy. The hard part was putting it bacl together without following the instructions because I thought I knew what I was doing. OOps. I wasted about 45 mins cussing at the thing because it wouldn't fit before I finally looked at the instructions and realized I was doing it wrong. SO!! One of the main reasons Crutchfield is good is that they give you such good instructions, which don't do any good it you don't follow them.

The unit I put in is an Aiwa CDC-X304. It's more than enough to push the Kenwood speakers I put in last summer - 4s in the front and 5.5s in the back. I'm glad I took the time last summer to run speaker wire, so I could get off the stock wire that could fit up my pee hole. The bass response from those speakers leaves a little to be desired - esp. since I'm used to the 6x9s in my back dash - but the clarity is great and the volume will finally beat out the noise when we're blasting the 4-80 air conditioning (4 windows down at 80 miles per hour).

I enjoy doing stuff like that, but it's most satisfing to know that she will get to listen to music that moves her.

No comments: