31 October 2006

play it all night long

"Grandpa pissed his pants again
He don't give a damn
Brother Billy has both guns drawn
He ain't been right since Vietnam"

Tonight is the first late night of the semester. It won't be the last. There is a certain tranquility in the overcaffienated haze that sets in around 2:19 in the am when you are typing away, digging out some really good quotes, and then mid-sentence you look up and realize you have no idea what your point is or what you were trying to say.

But you are working hard, and that is what counts. . . . right?

"Daddy's doing Sister Sally
Grandma's dying of cancer now
The cattle all have brucellosis
We'll get through somehow"

Apparently there are some elections going on, and everyone thinks they are going to win. I only really know that because last night when I tried to take th eevening and enjoy myself watching football I was subjected to the same lame negative political add at almost every single commercial break. The other guy didn't run a single add - I;m not sure if that means that he thinks he has it in the bag, is totally screwed, or is simply more in touch with the fact that the demographic watching Sunday Night Football is not exacty "likely to vote."

I probably would have been annoyed that this guy kept butting into my evening with the same lame political commercial, but I was too busy being annoyed at my football team as they proceeded to make every mistake imaginabe en-route to giving up 35 unanswered points and getting embarassed on national tv.

Of course, that also meant that I had to wear my team t-shirt today. There is nothing more annoying than front-running fans, and for some reason last year with the Steelers in the Superbowl was even worse than normal. All of a sudden everyone was breaking out their sweatshirts etc. I wear my gear when we lose. The team doesn't need my support when we win.

"Sweet home Alabama"
Play that dead band's song
Turn those speakers up full blast
Play it all night long

on the iPod:
The Drive By Truckers, 10/26/06, Cannery Ballroom, Nashville, TN
(covering Warren Zevon)

No comments: