22 February 2006

Albums (1)

I have always been an adamant supporter / proponent of listening to the whole album. Good music comes in sets of 10 or 12 songs, and the whole album should be good. None of this top 40 bullshit that has one good song & a bunch of crap. And with that I assume that the artist/producer has put together the record with the included tracks and in the order that the stuff is in, for a reason.

Accordingly, I have always hated it when people skip around on a disc, or put in something for one or two songs and then switch. But the iPod is starting to change all that. I rarely listen to a whole record. I think part of the reason is that I am listening to a bunch of stuff that had been on the shelf collecting dust. Part of the reason is also that I am getting sucked into the A.D.D. modern era of technology. But I am willing to admit that part of the reason is that I was just overzealous in my adherence to the album doctrine.

Now there are still records that should only be enjoyed in their entirety (OK Computer, Till The medicine Takes, and obviously Darkside of the Moon all come to mind).

So that brings us to today's "On the iPod":
Selections from Neil Young's Live Rust, Broken arrow, Zuma, Everybody Knows this is Nowhere, and his renditions from the Bob Dylan 30th Anniversary Concert.

No comments: