28 January 2006

One baddy daddy lamatai tebby chai!

For those of you who may have quit checking Mr. Babylon's blog b/c of his hiatus, he is back in black and badder than ever. His recent post about showing his ESL class To Kill a Mocking Bird & Cool Hand Luke is well worth the read (as is the whole blog generally).

In other news - Nike has finally out done themselves. I saw the newest ad last weekend during football and it is really top notch - enough to make you wanna jump off the couch right that moment and go running through the streets of Ballston. I said enough to make you wanna, not enough to make you actually do it. They are still running a compressed version of the spot, but it looses something without the full length slow build that AC/DC brings to the table.

Hey there, all you middle men
Throw away your fancy clothes
And while you're out there sittin' on a fence...

For those of you who haven't seen it - it is a typical montage of pro athletes & normal people getting out of bed, getting ready to exercise, and then running, swimming, or whatever they do (including a great shot of kids playing tether ball - don't make me break out the double axe handle) - all set to the beginning of AC/DC's "Rock & Roll Aint Noise Pollution."


So get off your ass and come down here
'Cause rock 'n' roll ain't no riddle man
To me it makes good, good sense

According to my memory, Nike really changed things - at least as far as adds - when they broke out the Revolution add way back in the day. That is the first time that I remember hearing/seeing a commercial use such an iconic song. Incidentally, that may have also been the first time, but certainly not the last time, I remember thinking "I can't believe they sold out."


Rock 'n' roll ain't noise pollution
Rock 'n' roll ain't gonna die

Anyway - it's 45 or 50 degrees & sunny here in the great state of NoVa, which means that rather than typing away on my computer making a post to my blog, I should be working on my paper – but just for now…

Rock 'n' roll ain't noise pollution

Rock 'n' roll it will survive

You can view the ad here, but you'll need apple's Quicktime player.

No comments: