09 June 2006

Routine maintenance

As I get older, I increasingly become a creature of habit. Not just that I do things by habit, but that I like to do things habitually - I find simplicity & peace in having a routine. This whole moving / couch surfing / house sitting thing, factored in with the end of school start of my job for the summer really threw things out of wack for a while.

Added on top of all of this is the fact that I am not at all a morning person. I am not a grouch, and I’m not the kind of person who must have coffee before getting out of bed (although I do enjoy a mild caffeine addiction). I’m just plain out of it in the morning - really, I don’t function well when I am tired in general, and I am tired in the morning without fail. That means that my routines & habits are even more important in the morning because they help me do everything I am supposed to do. Mess with the routine, and that means I have to think about everything, and when I am tired and not functioning properly thinking about everything can be a dangerous affair.

Having to think about everything in the morning means forgetting something - like putting on deodorant. I guess there are worse things to forget, but there are also better things to forget.

No comments: