23 December 2006

Christmas Movies

Well exams are finally finished. I've been at my folks house for a couple of days now and I am settling into being a lump on a log.

In the Christmas Spirit, here are my top 5 favorite Christmas movies:

#5 - Elf
This is a new addition - I saw it for the first time about a week ago, and I've only seen it once. But, I thought it was great. I laughed out loud . . . a lot. It was a great Will Ferrel vehicle, and it did a good job mixing in the message of holiday cheer.


#4 - Scrooged

It's been too long since you watched this. This is an under appreciated classic. Take Bill Murray at what was probably the height of his comedic career and mix in the greatest Christmas story of all time, and what more could you ask for?


#3 - The Grinch Who Stole Christmas


I'm not sure any comment can do this one justice. I saw this in the last week and couldn't stop asking "Where would the world be without Dr. Seuss?"


#2 - A Charlie Brown Christmas


This year, I actually fell asleep in the middle of this. Well, maybe it was closer to the beginning. That fact not withstanding, there is no better movie to get you up and running when you are having a hard time getting in the swing of Christmas spirit.

#1 - A Christmas Story

This is THE movie, the big one, the queen-mother of Christmas movies. There is a reason TBS or TNT or whatever Turner network pulls the long straw each year runs this movie non stop for 24 hours, and there is a reason that people always tune in. That is the same reason that I got it for my family on DVD. There are too many great scenes to count - too many favorite quotes. Too many classic moments. You can walk into a room of ten people you have never met and they will all have a favorite scene, which they can quote, and they might all have different ones. But each will be unassailable in its perfection.


Merry Christmas.

No comments: